Recipe of the Week: Turkey Burgers
We’ve got big BURGS and we cannot lie… (I sing as I groove in the kitchen making these beauties).
Okay, so Canada Day and the 4th of July just passed and those are both perfect opportunities to pull out our FAVOURITE BBQ recipes, right?!
So here you have it, the turkey burger. One of my favourite grilled recipes. Simple, delicious, a crowd pleaser and so satisfying.
I recently had a session with a client where we demystified burgers and the assumption that they are ‘greasy’ and ‘fatty’ foods. We learnt that my client was associating ALL burgers with McDonald’s and fast food chains, which inevitably led her to believe that they weren’t the healthiest choice.
One of my favourite activities to do is deconstruct foods to demonstrate how their building blocks actually makes them healthy choices. And that there is no ONE way of having a food type.
So here is how we deconstructed burgers…
The patty: opt for lean patty options e.g. beef, chicken or turkey as an excellent protein source!
The bun: carbohydrates for fuel, B vitamins, fibre and to satisfy you!
The toppings: all the veg, tomatoes, lettuce, onion, gherkins, cheese (additional protein), condiments are great sources of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and flavour!
The verdict? a balanced meal option you can ENJOY and savour.
Oh, and this doesn’t mean every burger you have must be homemade. If you wish you have a MacDonald’s of Five Guys burger by all means, suit yourself. What I always like to encourage my clients to do list check in and notice how certain foods make them feel afterwards… sluggish? energised? satisfied? overfull? bloated? Notice how your body communicates with you to inform your food choices.
So here is how you make them.
Makes: 4 patties
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 500g lean turkey, ground
- 1 egg
- 1 onion (white or purple), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- handful fresh parsley, diced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, add the parmesan cheese, onion, garlic, herbs, spices, rolled oats, egg and turkey mince and mix together until smooth.
- Roll the mixture into balls the size of a tennis ball and then flatten to make nice round discs.
- On the grill cook for 10 minutes until cooked through or you cook in a pan flipping the patties to achieve a nice golden colour of each side for 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite toppings, a fluffy bun and enjoy!
- Recommended toppings: caramelised onion, goat cheese, rocket and tomatoes – YUM!
Let us know if you try it by tagging us @embodyhealthlondon_ on IG.
We cannot wait to see your creations!